Experience of writing my first book


Writing a book is a very emotional experience, especially when the experience is for the first time. And I am telling this from my own experience. On March 2nd, 2024, my first book was published on the Kindle. A few days later, the paperback and hardcover versions followed on Amazon and then on Notion Press.

Here are some of the challenges faced by writers, irrespective of their stature and reputation.

Passion for the topic: Write about something you are passionate about. It could be a hobby, an experience, or a topic you have extensive knowledge about. My first book is based on my ongoing career mentoring program called Beyond Academics. In this program every week we are dealing with a topic that is important for a student but is not taught in the school.

Define Your Audience: Who are you writing for? Understanding your audience will help you tailor your content to their interests and expectations. My first book is written for the parents of Gen Z and Gen Alpha. By targeting the right kind of audience, there is a better chance of reaching out and converting their interest into a sale.

Writer’s Block: Many first-time authors encounter writer’s block, where words and ideas seem trapped inside, especially under deadlines. I did face this issue as well, until a few series of events happened almost coincidentally, as if they were destined to happen in that fashion then. I must acknowledge that attending a free writing webinar by an established mentor and publisher helped me overcome this obstacle.

Confidence Issues: Doubts such as “Who am I to write a book?”, “Who will read my book?” or fears of negative reception can plague new writers. Overcoming imposter syndrome is a common hurdle. When I started writing my book, this was a major issue, that was holding me back from taking the plunge. Again, at this stage engaging with writers and mentors who have already gone through the process was a great support. While writing about any subject, the writer should not put too much importance on what she/he wants to communicate, rather just try to be as authentic as possible about the subject from his/her perspective. It is possible that on a similar subject, there are many books already written, that should not hold one back in bringing a fresh perspective by the writer.

Financial Reward: Writing a book is a significant undertaking that may require balancing another job or dipping into savings. Some authors even take loans, risking debt. All books may not become very commercially successful. At the point of starting the process of writing, it would be a good idea to de-link the commercial success of the book to the effort put in. As long as the intention is good and the message is authentic, the book will find its buyers eventually.

Time Management: Finding the time to write while juggling work or family responsibilities can be daunting and can stifle creativity. Writing is a very mentally taxing activity, especially when one is writing a book. Whether it is fiction or non-fiction, the efforts required are similar. I used a simple method of dedicating one day at a time to writing on a particular topic/chapter. And until the chapter was over, I did not give up. On some days the chapters got over in a couple of hours, and on other days, they took much longer to complete. Finding a relatively calm period of the day, where no one is disturbing you and you can transmit your thoughts seamlessly onto the paper or Word doc is very important. Consistency is key. Set aside dedicated time each day or week for writing, and stick to it.

Preparation: Rushing into writing without a plan can lead to a chaotic process. Proper planning is crucial for a structured and enjoyable writing journey. This is an essential part of the writing process. Here are some tips to make the initial preparation, which I used in my writing process as well,

  • Choose or finalize a topic on which you would like your book to focus.
  • Decide on the number of chapters/sections.
  • Collect relevant information from the net or books
  • And then start the process of writing one chapter at a time.
  • To test the topics, use the method of writing long-form articles and share them among your followers.
  • Seek feedback from writers/mentors on any of the above areas to get more clarity.

Write the first draft: Don’t worry about making it perfect. The first draft is about getting your ideas down on paper. This was great advice I got from one of my friends at the very beginning of my writing journey. When I wrote one chapter a day, I never reviewed the chapter immediately. This made the process very easy and effective for me because I was not burdening myself with any kind of expectation of whether I had written well or not.

Pre-Publishing Process: Before reaching the publication stage, it’s essential for a book to undergo scrutiny by diverse experts and influential figures, who can provide pivotal feedback and insights. Share your manuscript draft with people you can trust and value their advice. The reviewers will also provide review comments, which will be useful during the publication and post-publication promotion.

Design a Cover: The cover is the first thing potential readers will see. Make sure it’s eye-catching and relevant to your book’s content. I tried several designs myself using the various platforms available. I took feedback from my family members at this stage and finalized the most suitable for the subject.

Publishing Process: Decide whether you want to pursue traditional publishing or self-publishing. Each has its own set of steps to follow. Understanding the steps to get published, from crafting a compelling manuscript to finding an agent or publisher, is part of the learning curve. For a first-time writer, this is one of the most difficult steps. There are so many unknowns and unknowable, that many don’t take the step forward. If you connect the right professionals, the entire process can be really smooth and very cost-effective. I was lucky to have found the right kind of professionals who were very patient and understanding.

Post-Publication Promotion: This is one of the most difficult steps, and this can decide whether the book will be commercially successful or not. As a first-time writer, I solely depend on social media channels, email marketing etc to reach to the target audience. I have not yet tried many other methods, so I won’t be able to comment much.

Getting Noticed: For a first-time author, gaining exposure and building a fan base is vital. This is a process that I am also trying to learn. The use of social media platforms is a great way to reach out to more followers and fans. It’s been less than two weeks for me, so I will share more as I learn more about this subject.

Caution: After the publication, there will be requests from various quarters to provide free/complimentary copies of the book. One has to be very careful about such requests. Remember many times, the person seeking a complimentary copy may not even read a few pages of the book. Be polite and firm while dealing with such requests.

Despite these challenges, becoming a writer is a rewarding experience. With perseverance and dedication, first-time authors can navigate the writing process and achieve their publishing goals.

Want to have a chat with me about my writing? https://topmate.io/dr_spmishra/455462

If you are starting your journey as a writer, I wish you a lot of good wishes and luck.

If you wish to buy my book, here are the different options:

Kindle: https://rxe.me/N1NN8W

International Paperback: https://rxe.me/4R8KRV

International Hardcover: https://rxe.me/4GGG66

Indian Paperback Option: https://bit.ly/WTDTAS

Indian Paperback Option: https://amzn.eu/d/6yvtdjs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Re-Setting Yourself After a Break

A note to all students appearing for Board, Entrance & School Exams in coming months

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF DESIRES – AND HOW TO NAVIGATE AROUND IT